Back when I was working full time we would start each year by setting targets and action plans for the following 12 months. Although I found it a real bugbear at the time, it really is a good way to acknowledge progress.
In August last year I shared my blogging goals for 2016, so it only feels appropriate to update you on how I got on. I feel it adds an element of accountability. Not only that, I have set myself some new goals for 2017.
I feel goals for the whole year are a little far fetched at the moment for OddHogg. I have only been blogging for 6 months and I’m still working out where I am heading with this, so I have set goals to take me to the end of June 2017 instead.
- Post 4 Times Per Week – With a little guy with me this proved quite tough, but I did it.
- Post 1 evergreen post per week – I think I have achieved this. In hindsight I think I put too much focus on this in 2016 and would like to slacken off a bit
- Meet Other Mums Blog – I’ve been enjoying writing over there. I met all my 2016 deadlines 🙂
- Guest Posts – I did a few more guest posts in 2016, but the posting schedule I had set for myself didn’t give much time for writing additional content regularly.
- 3000 Twitter Followers – This was a really optimistic target as it meant more than doubling my followers at the time. I didn’t achieve it, but with 2362 I feel I gave it my all!
- 750 Instagram Followers – Achieved! 784 followers to date.
- 150 Facebook Followers – Smashed it! 317 likes, and a reach of over 3000 most weeks. I’ve been working hard on my facebook since mid November and it really shows
- Get to grips with Pinterest – I can say with confidence that I have achieved this. I started using Tailwind and things just kind of took off! I have pinnable images, and a consistent stream of traffic because of it. Around a third of my blog traffic now comes from pinterest.
- Newsletter – In late November I set up my newsletter with MailChimp
- Better Photography – I now understand some of the theory behind good photography, but I haven’t been able to execute it. I worry about missing the moment and end up just using Smart mode for speed and ease.
- Regular Linkys – I have a selection of linkys that I join weekly. They all have a good community and I get out of them what I put in.
- Blog/Life Balance – This still needs some work. I spend most of my evenings on the laptop which feels really antisocial, but the days are filled with Piglet!
Overall I am really chuffed with how I did in 2016. Aside from Twitter, I met all of my goals and can be proud of what I have achieved.
But now: what do I want to do next?
- Post 3 times a week – Although 4 times a week was achievable last year, I found it occupied more of my time than I really wanted. So I want to work on posting Monday, Wednesday and Fridays for the forseeable.
- Post 2 evergreen posts per month – I want the blog to have some evergreen content, but I don’t want it to overtake normal posts that I enjoy writing.
- Meet Other Mums Blog – Continue contributing one post per month
- 3000 Twitter Followers – Since I didn’t achieve this in 2016 it is only right to try again!
- 1000 Instagram Followers – Instagram growth is slow but steady, so this seems reasonable to me.
- 500 Facebook Followers – This may be a little optimistic, but I want to have something to strive for.
- 100,000 views per month on Pinterest – I currently have around 45,000 average monthly viewers and I really want to work hard on growing that.
- Newsletter – I have 1 subscriber to my newsletter. Safe to say that needs some work! I’d love to have 50 subscribers, and I hope to do that by adding it as an option to a competition entry.
- Vlogs – Eek! This is probably the goal for 2017 that I am most scared about. But I really want to give it a try…. I think. So my target for the first half of 2017 is to work out what I’m doing and get a couple of videos up.
I think I’ve played it fairly safe with most of my goals for 2017 – but I didn’t want to put too much pressure on myself and burn out.
Have you set yourself goals for 2017? Share them below!
This post is linked up to The List.
Please note this post may include some affiliate links. This has no effect on you - to find out more please check out the disclosure