I love a dessert and during the
hot slightly warmer summer months berries are my first choice. Whether shop bought or straight from my Grandparents allotment, with icing sugar on waffles or on their own with lashings of cream, I want them! And don’t forget tossing a couple in some Pimms or a glass of prosecco 😉
The lovely people are Tesco sent us a voucher for money off some berries to try. I chose to get some strawberries so we could make Eton Mess. Eton Mess is a simple dessert that everyone in my family loves. There’s rarely any leftovers, and it’s got fruit in it so its definitely healthy right?!
- A punnet of strawberries – around 400g – 500g
- 400ml double cream
- 3-4 meringue nests, crushed. You can make your own, but to keep this as a quick and easy dessert I used Tesco’s *finest ready made and kept the rest of next time!
- Take a handful of strawberries and blend them. Chop the remaining strawberries, if you remember keep a few back for decoration.
- Whip the double cream until it makes stiff peaks. Its a lot easier using an electric whisk but can be done by hand if you have stamina!
- Fold the puree and crushed meringue, then the chopped strawberries. Finally, if you kept a coupe of strawberries back place them on top as decoration – and serve
- We like to put it into a large bowl and have everyone help themselves, but if you wanted to spruce things up a bit you can chill glasses and serve each portion individually.
- A sprig of mint on the top makes it look really pretty – it just never lasts long enough round here for us to bother with that!
- You could add an extra flavour, try ginger cordial stirred through it. Or a liquor of your choice. Simple yet effective!
Disclaimer – I was sent vouchers for money off the strawberries but all opinions and the recipe are my own
Please note this post may include some affiliate links. This has no effect on you - to find out more please check out the disclosure