Oh My Blog is a monthly interview series, where fellow bloggers come together to answer a series of questions on a specific theme. This is a chance to get acquainted with a whole range of bloggers, some of whom you may not have heard of before, and learn a little more about them!
This month, the theme is Mums (because it’s Mother’s Day soon!) and we’re hosting Clare from Neon Rainbow.
1. Introduce us to your mum. What’s her name? What does she do? Reveal her age if you dare!
My mum is called Wendy and this year she will be 60 – though I really think she looks 10 years younger! She works a 40 hour week and rarely complains about it.
2. What’s the one thing your mum always used to say to you?
When I was a kid and I’d ask her “Whyyy?” she would always reply “River” and I never understood it. I now know it’s because of the River Wye, I also now say it to my kids. Haha.
3. Someone’s playing your mum in a film. Who is it and why?
Julie Walters, she reminds me of my mum, funny, strong and kind.
4. She’s won the lottery. What’s the first thing your mum buys for herself?
Once I’ve actually talked her into buying something for herself for once in her life, I would imagine it would be a property, then a cat.
5. What embarrassing story about you does she always tell when you meet new people?
The time I got horrendously drunk at 18, was home by 11pm puking with my head in a bucket while she rubbed my back.
6. What are your plans for Mother’s Day this year?
Something simple like a coffee and cake date.
7. What’s her favourite TV show at the moment?
She loves Game of Thrones!
8. What’s the biggest or most important thing that your mum inspired you to do?
Be a loving mother.
9. Your round at the bar! What’s your mum drinking?
Vodka and diet coke.
10. What’s the biggest different between you and your mum?
This is a really hard one because we are SO alike in most ways, but I think I am a lot more anxious and sensitive than she is. She has much thicker skin.
11. Most important question of the lot. What is your mum’s stance on 50 Shades of Grey? Does she love it? Hate it? Not even know what it is?
She knows what it is, and my sister lent her the book however she’s never read it! Haha!
12. What’s your favourite memory of your mum?
When I was a kid she used to work in the evening until around 10 or 11pm, my Dad was a bit of a deadbeat and never used to tuck us into our beds, so I used to wait quietly on the top step of our staircase most nights for her to come home and tuck me in. It’s my favourite memory because it sticks in my mind the most now I am an adult with my own children how much that meant to me as a child, it cements the fact that I know I can always depend on my mum.
13. What do you think your mum was like as a kid?
Very shy, very kind but feisty when she needed to be.
14. Cast your mind back a bit; what was the thing you did as a child or teenager that made your mum the angriest she has ever been with you?
My mum rarely got angry, it made things worse really because she would always use the ‘disappointed face’ instead. One time I can think of was when I went through a phase of not speaking to her, I was going through some stuff as a young adult and I just phased her out completely. She got really angry and upset that I wouldn’t speak to her, even a “Hello” would be met with a grunt or silence. I was a bit of a cow to her back then.
15. Finally, what’s the BEST piece of advice your mum ever gave to you?
This is going to sound harsh but after the birth of my second son she ‘advised’ me to lose weight, she was scared for my health and suggested it would be a good idea as a young mum with a little family to be healthy and live longer for them. Turns out it was the boost I needed to start my healthy lifestyle change. I can credit some of my success to her because I always remember those words she said to me and today I sit here 7 stone lighter, so it was great advice!
If you enjoyed this post, head over to Clare’s lovely blog and follow her on Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Please note this post may include some affiliate links. This has no effect on you - to find out more please check out the disclosure