It can be quite difficult for us to choose what to have for dinner that we would both enjoy. JHogg is a meat and potato fan, whereas I like to mix things up a bit. I do 99% of the cooking, so most of the meal choices are up to me. I could cook whatever I want – but it’s really not worth the grief I’d get for sneaking in onions and veggies!
This recipe for chicken and new potato hash satisfies both our wants out of a meal. The original came from the Body Coach Lean in 15, however we made a few adaptations to meet Mr Fussy’s needs. It is still healthy and filling and packed with flavour.
- Olive oil or coconut oil
- Roughly 400g new potatoes
- 2 large chicken breasts
- Garlic (I prefer lazy garlic but 1 or 2 cloves would do the same)
- Frozen peas
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 or 3 large handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 2cm strip of feta cheese
- chilli flakes
- Give the new potatoes a quick prick with a fork and pop them in the microwave for around 8 minutes of full power. If you prefer you can boil them, but this works must faster!
- Slice to chicken to around 1cm strips. Add the oil of choice to the frying pan, and then fry the chicken and garlic for 2 minutes, until it starts to brown in places.
- Add in the peas and continue to fry for a further minute.
- Once the potatoes have finished in the microwave, remove them and cut them in half or quarters depending on their size. They will be hot!
- Add the potatoes to the pan with the chicken. Leave it to fry for 3 or 4 minutes without staring, this will allow the potatoes to brown in parts.
- Sprinkle the paprika and stir to ensure it fully coats the ingredients.
- Toss in the spinach, and the feta cut into cubes. The spinach will soon wilt.
- Once served up, sprinkle with chilli flakes to taste – they add a nice kick.
Serves 2 big portions, or 2 smaller portions with some leftover for lunch
- Personally, I would replace the peas with mange tout
- You could really add any veg that you have lying around – thats the beauty of a hash.
- A poached egg on top is apparently lovely if you like eggs, we are lazy and JHogg tends to have a fried egg instead
Please note this post may include some affiliate links. This has no effect on you - to find out more please check out the disclosure