I have had type 1 diabetes for 4 years now, and in that time I have heard some fairly ignorant comments. Some are innocent, some well meant and some just down right rude. I know that there are certain things that I would never say to someone with depression, cancer or other medical issues, and so I don’t understand why certain things are said to me.
As with all things related to my diabetes, I try to see the funny side and not take it too personally. I’ve compiled a list of things that have been said to me, or to people I know that really shouldn’t have been said out loud!
- Should you be eating that?
- Why are you eating that?
- ……. but you’re not fat?
- At least it’s not something really bad, like cancer.
- But you don’t look like you have diabetes.
- My uncle has diabetes, he lost his foot.
- My gran had diabetes, she died.
- Have you tried changing your diet?
- I’ve heard cinnamon is good for diabetes – have you tried it?
- I could never give myself and injection. Ever.
- Ewww it’s so gross that you have to make yourself bleed.
- But doesn’t your pump do all the work for you?
- I thought only children had that kind?
- Is it the bad kind?
- How did you catch it?
- Are you allowed to have children?
- Did you eat a lot of sweets as a child?
- Does Piglet have it?
- Our dog has diabetes.
- Don’t you cure it with insulin?
- If you just don’t eat sugar you would be fine though, right?
You’d be amazed by some of the people who say these things – I am usually pretty shocked myself! I try to use it as an opportunity to educate. Sometimes though I just have to take a deep breath and walk away!
Why not join our Facebook Group which is hub for women with all different types of diabetes. It is a safe place to ask questions, share knowledge and be open about how you are coping.