There are many reasons why you should consider using organic skincare for children. Not only are there many benefits to organic skincare, but selecting a quality product for a child’s sensitive skin is very important. In addition, a newborn baby’s skin is very delicate. You want to use the mildest cleansers for a newborn because their immune system is still developing.
However, there are times when a child or newborn needs special care for their skin such as:
- Dry skin
- Diaper rash
- Other skin problems
Newborn needs skincare products that are fragrance-free and dye-free. Equally, be mindful about the ingredients. The ingredients can sometimes be misleading. Just because the labels state that it’s hypoallergenic does not mean that the product is gentle on a baby’s skin. The term hypoallergenic means that the product is less apt to cause an allergic reaction.
What is more, there are numerous skincare products for children that can actually be harmful and toxic. Before buying any skincare products for your child, it is very important that you read and understand the ingredients.
Related Post: 5 Parenting Lessons I Learnt From Starting A Blog
The Dark Side
In truth, the majority of skincare products for children contain a lot of harmful ingredients. Some of the most common impurities found in children’s skincare products are:
- Mineral gel
- Mineral oil
- Petroleum gel
- Artificial colouring
- Mild to harsh detergents
- Disinfectant agents like boric acid
In addition, prolonged exposure to toxic chemicals can have a huge impact on your child’s health and skin. Since pores are a way to help cleanse your skin, chemicals are quickly absorbed into the body. As well, the chemical can build up and block the pores in the skin. Eventually, the blocked pores form a layer of dirt and microbes which can cause skin irritation.
Even worse, children often put their hands in their mouth and ingest the chemicals. In some circumstances, the ingested chemicals can cause vomiting, stomach aches, or allergic reactions.
Why are These Chemicals Harmful?
There is actually a very long list of harmful ingredients that can be found in children’s skincare products. Here is a small list of some of the most common ingredients that can have an effect on your child’s skin
- Petroleum Gel & Mineral Oil – a corrosive substance that clogs the pores, leaves the skin dry, and impedes sebum production. Petroleum gel and mineral oil can also cause skin irritation and itching.
- Tap Water – even tap water can cause issues. Oftentimes, tap water contains chlorine or bleach, which is highly corrosive.
- Detergents – often found in a child’s shampoo and soap. Detergents are extremely harsh and corrosive. They can cause damage to the skin and hair. If detergents get in the eyes, it can cause blindness.
- Artificial Colouring – may cause skin irritation and itching. It is also unsafe for the eyes and skin. If it is accidentally ingested, artificial colouring can be harmful to a child’s vital organs.
- Antiseptic, Antibiotics & Disinfectants – These elements can kill microbes or kill germs that help protect the body from bacteria.
- Metal Salts & Oxalates – these are elements composed of lead, zinc, mercury, and sulfur. According to SymptomFind, exposure to these compounds may cause kidney and respiratory failure, gastrointestinal tract issues, and sometimes death.
The good news is; there are other skincare products on the market that are safe and healthy for children. You can easily find a large array of organic skincare products such as organic soaps, shampoos, and lotions. In fact, you can even find organic makeup for kids. If you want to find more you can try search on loyalorganic.com
Related Post: When Is The Best Time To Stop Breastfeeding?
A Glimmer of Hope
When it comes to traditional skincare products for children, people are becoming more aware of the many harmful ingredients that they contain. Fortunately, the awareness has inspired the organic market. In fact, today you can find a wide variety of organic skincare products for children.
What is more, organic products have brought awareness. People now realize that it’s very important to take care of their skin in a natural and organic way. Here are a few ingredients to look for in a quality product for your child
Natural Filtered Water – it does not have chlorine or bleach. As well, filtered water does not contain pesticides, fungicides, fertilizers, or heavy metals.
Most organic lotions contain similar ingredients:
- Base –the base is the bulk of a product. Ann organic base is typically composed of olive oil, shea butter, sweet almond oil, argan oil, coconut oil, or other similar oils. Some lotions use beeswax to thicken the lotion.
- Natural Additives – most natural additives are also a medicinal. They are added to lotions for various conditions like dry skin, clogged pores, etc. Some medicinal additives include calendula, aloe vera, saffron, wheat germ, and jojoba.
- Other Additives – sometime other natural additives are added to give a lotion a certain color or aroma like rose water, citronella, vanilla, chamomile, and lavender.
An organic children’s cream does not contain any chemicals or synthetic ingredients. All ingredients are natural, organic, and healthy for your child. As well, they are not harsh on the skin or cause any side effects
- Organic Beeswax – a natural ingredient added to most creams for thickness. In fact, organic beeswax is actually edible.
- Organic Shea Butter – this natural butter is from the shea nut. It has amazing emollient properties and high in nutrients.
- Organic Cocoa Butter – a major ingredient in most creams. It is derived from organically grown coconuts. Cocoa butter is also rich in vitamin E and antioxidants.
- Organic Olive Oil – renowned for its many benefits and has no known side effects. It is an antioxidant, antibacterial, moisturizer, and high in vitamins A, D, E, and K.
- Organic Aloe Vera – the juice is known as an emollient and is very healing to the skin. It also retains moisture.
- Organic Essential Oils – adds an amazing therapeutic aroma that is soothing and relaxing such as chamomile, lavender, calendula, and rose.
For Soaps & Shampoos
Organic soaps and shampoos typically contain beeswax for thickening, coconut oil and shea butter for moisturising, and essential oils for relaxing and soothing. If a product has bubbles in it, then it probably is not organic. Generally, to create bubbles it has to contain an alkaline compound like calcium or sodium plus a detergent.
Related Post: Choosing Flooring For Your Family Home
To Sum it Up
When selecting skincare products for children, you want to ensure that they stay healthy and safe. For the most part, commercial skincare products contain many toxic chemicals. In addition, studies show that there are numerous side effects and hazards caused by these chemicals.
By using only organic skincare products, you eliminate their exposure to toxic chemicals found in most commercial products. In addition, your child will have healthier skin. In fact, you will be amazed at how any skin conditions heal naturally.
Although, organic skincare products can cost a little bit more than commercial brands, you will safe on medical expenses caused from the chemical reactions of commercial products. As well, you will feel much better knowing that you are nourishing your child ski and keeping their skin safe and healthy.
What is more, there are numerous organic skincare products to fit your child’s needs. Check out the many option available to you today.
This post is submitted by Loyal Organic